Welcome to the third Crazy Ingredient Challenge!
Each month several wonderful bloggers and me have to come up with a dish that combines two ingredients you would normally not put together
This months challenge was: Broccoli & Pumpkin Puree!
As you can see, I like real challenges. And as always I just had to turn these two ingredients into a cake! I have found so much joy in creating cakes out of veggies in the past, so why not doing the same with broccoli?!
Since green and orange would turn into a ugly brown, I decided to use pumpkin only for the frosting
The result is amazing! The eartiness from the cake part (broccoli and nuts) combined with the sweetness of the frosting (intense pumpkin pie taste) is incredible. I had to force my husband to have a bite, he was so scared that poor little guy, and then it happened … he ate half the cake at once! Good lord if I had known this before I would have made more!
So this might be a great way to get veggie haters to eat them
Now let’s look at the recipe and then let’s see what all the others came up with.
Feel free to join the fun by simply clicking the button below!
- 11 oz. broccoli florets (about 1 medium head)
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar (white, brown, coconut palm or stevia)
- ⅓ cup almonds
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tub store bought vanilla frosting
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat your oven to 305 F
- Line a 8 inch brownie pan with parchment paper
- In a food processor combine broccoli, eggs, nuts, sugar and orange zest until smooth
- Pour into a large bowl
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and oil, then fold in until smooth
- Pour batter into baking pan, spread out a little
- Bake for 1 hour
- Let cool completely before frosting
- For the frosting simply mix all frosting ingredients together and pour over cake, then place in fridge or eat immediately