Does this happen to you too?! I recently opened my fridge to clean it and “found” buttermilk. What’s weird because I usually never buy buttermilk, but there it was. Unused, just standing there. I asked my husband if he bought it, but he swears I did – like 4 weeks ago! Hmm, I sure don’t remember that!
Oh well, before it goes bad, I had to make something with it, so why not making a pie
This Easy Buttermilk Pie is prepared so quick and tastes so good! I decided to go with a oatmeal crust, simply because I was too lazy to make a real pie crust haha. Everything fit together perfectly. The crunch from the outside combined with that smooth, slightly sweet inside … YUM!
SSo just in case you “find” some buttermilk in your fridge, THIS is a great way to use it!
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup buttermilk (fat free works fine)
- ⅓ cup chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 325 F
- Spray an 8 inch pie pan with cooking spray (I actually line it with parchment paper)
- In a large bowl combine all crust ingredients until crumbly
- Press into pie pan and bake for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile in another large bowl combine all filling ingredients until smooth
- Pour filling into pre-baked crust and bake for another hour (or until set in the middle)
- Drizzle chocolate sprinkles over it right when it comes out of the oven, then let cool completely before serving