I came across a recipe on a German cooking forum that caught my interest. After I saw that it uses 8 ounces of nuts and two other ingredients I can’t find in the US, I knew I had to change some things!
Nuts here are so unbelievably expensive, I am still not used to that. So if I would really make this with only nuts, this would be a super expensive tart to make! But I knew the dollar store has big bags of trail mix and why not making a tart out of that
With using that, you have crunchy, sweet, salty and gooey in one and everyone will be satisfied!
Please feel free to substitute the sugar in the crust with sweetener, I do that too!
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 9 ounces trail mix (I use the chocolate&nut trail mix from the dollar store)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 355 F
- In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, egg, flour and water until very well combined and knead for about 3 minutes
- Roll out the dough and lay into your greased pie form
- Now in a medium saucepan combine butter honey and brown sugar
- Bring over high heat and let boil for 5 minutes
- Take away from heat and stir in the nuts and milk
- Pour into crust and bake for 30 minutes
- Let cool completely before serving