Comfort food the not so unhealthy way.
I am addicted to cheese and ground beef, because you can do so much with them. Tho every dish tastes and looks different. Ground beef never gets boring.
So this time, instead of making the standard “I mix ground beef with noodles” casserole, I wanted to have one with rice. Oh and lots of cheese.
For things like that I always use low-fat cheese and the ground beef with the lowest fat amount possible.
I like to eat a lot, but still don’t wanna gain weight. This dish is perfect for it. I promise you, it won’t leave you unsatisfied!
So basically: cheap, fast, cheesy … a Jutta dish!
- 1 lbs ground beef (lowest fat amount possible)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream (I use fat free)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- salt, pepper, oregano
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and turn on the heat to high
- Roast the onions for a few minutes
- Add ground beef and garlic, brown the ground beef completely, turn heat to medium
- Spice with salt, pepper and oregano how you like it
- Add rice, peas tomato sauce, 1 cup cheese and broth, let simmer for 3 minutes
- Transfer everything into a casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile combine the rest of the cheese with the sour cream
- After 15 minutes bring the cheese/sour cream mixture on top of you casserole and bake for another 15 minutes